St. Giles' Blaston - History
mediaeval times, St Giles was a chapelry of Medbourne,
which is why it shares the same saint’s dedication. This
chapel was demolished in Victorian times and the present church
erected. It became a parish in 1878. In 1930, the parishes of
Blaston and Horninghold were amalgamated. Thence, in 1981, Blaston
was placed in the new parish of Six Saints circa Holt.
church dates from the last quarter of the nineteenth century.
The designer of St.
Giles was G.E. Street, a prominent London architect. It has pleasant proportions
and is well set in its rural surroundings.
The nave and chancel
are continuous, without aisles. The east end of the chancel has a slate
covered semi-circular apse. The bell hangs in a bell cote on the west
wall. To the west are a screened vestry and a flat roofed store room.
The south side has a small porch. The walls are of local iron/limestone
with a slate roof. The roof structure is in robust carpentry.
Three Victorian stained
glass windows depict the birth, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.
Glass panels, reputed to have come from the original House of Lords, are
in the vestry screen. A painting of St Jerome by Decio Vilares (Brazil
1877) hangs on the north wall. The vestry screen also holds an etched
glass memorial to Father Claude of the society of St John the evangelist
(1893 – 1975).