|Parish of the Six Saints circa Holt||
|OVERVIEW SERVICES HISTORY CONTACTS GENEALOGY|
|Home > Medbourne Overview > History|
The church is not a regular cruciform design; this may have been an original design intention that was later abandoned. Consequently, the West walls of the North and South transepts do not share the same line.
A major renovation was completed in the mid 17th century. It was then that the North transept became a schoolroom and a clerestory added to the nave. Even though the Archdeacon ordered the removal of the school in 1777, it remained in church until 1869 when the new school opened; this is now the Village Hall. The porch over the South door was added around 1700.
By the middle of the 19th century the church had deteriorated badly. There were cracks, uneven floors, irregular pews and a fallen ceiling in the North transept. It was described as "in vile state of dirt and disorder". Despite this, nothing much was done until 1876 when the chancel was rebuilt, paid for by the Rev. C. F. Eastbourne. There was a delay of 4 more years before the rest of the church was rebuilt. This included rebuilding of the South aisle and the South wall and removal of the 17th century clerestory. At this time the pews were renewed and the 13th century font placed on a new stem.
During further restoration in 1911-1912 the South transept was restored, the South window was inserted and the roofs were renewed. In 1916 the churchyard was extended by the demolition of two cottages.
The church clock, with its unusual "two second" pendulum, was donated in 1852 by Rector L. P. Baker. In 1984 the difficult winding mechanism was electrified.
The church has six bells, three dating from 1768, one from 1784, one undated and one cast in Loughborough in 1952.
The organ was installed in 1962. Originally built in 1800 it came from Christ Church, Northampton following donation of a new organ.
A complete record of all gravestones is kept in church. The current church registers date from 1837 and Parish records date from 1588. Baptisms and marriages are almost completely recorded but 30 years' burial records are missing fom 1753. There are also several volumes of old village photographs. In order to access any of these records please see the information provided on the Genealogy page.
This history is a precis of a much fuller account which is available in church as a printed leaflet.